30 March 2006

Word or Words

DOLLOP

dol·lop (dlp) n.
A large lump or portion of a solid matter: a dollop of ice cream.
A small quantity or splash of a liquid: a dollop of whiskey.
A modicum; a bit: not a dollop of truth to the story.

(courtesy of the one and only dictionary.com...but you are free to look it up in the Encyclopedia Brittanica, if you wish.)

At any rate, how does a dollop get to be both a liquid and a solid? Is it some sort of phase transition or some sort of duckbilled platypus (the classical analog for an electron)? Furthermore, I'm no physicist or anything, but how exactly does a dollop go from being a large lump of solid to a small quantity of liquid?

This is as confusing as that time we talked about ducks and decorated sheds in cultures and traditions. I bet a post-modern architect is beneath all of this dollop nonsense as well.

This blog entry contains not even a dollop of sense. I learned something today, please to explain.

1 comment:

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

I am not sure how to explain how it can be both a large and small amount of something. Tricky, tricky. Maybe because of the examples it gave, that a dollop of that small liquid (i.e. whiskey) would have a greater effect on someone than a dollop of ice cream. I know that when I have a dollop of ice cream, I certainly don't want to fight bitches. However, give me a dollop of whiskey, and I will fight ten.