11 March 2006

Koalas Gone WILD!!!



1. I have two midterms the week following spring break. The classical electrodynamics midterm will begin promptly on Monday the 20th at 7 pm. Not to be outdone, I have a statistical mechanics problem set due the same day, to be followed by my second midterm on Thursday beginning promptly at 6 pm.

Evening exams are wonderful, because then I still have the pleasure of sitting in on the lectures for both of those classes on their respective dates.

My koala friend will have to party twice as hard this year to make up for my party-deficient spring break.

2. Dictionary.com's word of the day for Saturday, March 11:

crapulous \KRAP-yuh-lus\, adjective:
1. Suffering the effects of, or derived from, or suggestive of gross intemperance, especially in drinking; as, a crapulous stomach.
2. Marked by gross intemperance, especially in drinking; as, a crapulous old reprobate.

I always thought crapulous was a word made up by not-so-creative teenagers (such as myself when I was a budding, young, barely legal teen).

3. The Gordone Awards Competition:

I was naive enough to think that I would have plenty of time over spring break to write a new, original piece of creative fiction for this English Department sponsored writing competition.

I could use some help in picking a submission from the small-ish body of work that I've compiled and posted on this blog. I could also use some help in revising said piece. So, any suggestions or insults would be greatly appreciated.

4. Earlier this week I woke up after 3 hrs of sleep thinking, "It's ok, I can go back to sleep because I conformally mapped my sleep patterns." Conformal mapping is a very useful tool where you map points from a two-dimensional space onto a complex plane, thereby making some complicated geometry easier to manage.

I hate it when I wake up in a cold sweat thinking about a physics problem. That's bullshit.

5. If I don't start learning physics faster, the next course I take might be called "automotive mechanics." And then I wouldn't have to worry about being assigned problem sets which are illustrative of nothing at all and which contain a numerous amount of onerous pathologies.

6. I came home from class yesterday and fell asleep by 5 pm. I woke up for about an hour around midnight, went back to sleep, and didn't wake up again until 11 am. It was awesome. Everything I could have ever hoped for, considering my physics consumption of late.

7. Thank God for my physics friends. Although my idea of a good time usually does not include poring over a single problem set with ten other physics students on a Wednesday evening for over ten hours straight -- it is often an illustrative and enligtening experience.

No comments: