25 March 2006

Bat Sh** Crazy

"Your solution, although brave, is not supported by logic."

Perhaps more debilitating words have been written as remarks on the margins of graded problem sets, but none can challenge the succint directness of that particularly phrase. Of course, this fate is better that writing a solution which is neither brave nor supported by logic, as is often the case -- for this remark was written on the problem set of one of my fellow graduate students last semester.

I seem to think about that a lot during an exam, especially when I have no idea how to approach any of the problems that appear on the exam. I wish I could get some bravery points though while writing an incorrect solution. At least that would boost my confidence a little bit.

At any rate, my Thursday night statistical mechanics exam went resoundingly well. And what a change of pace that is! Needless to say, I felt really great after the exam and went out to the Fox and Hound to celebrate -- as opposed to the commiserating that occurred after the Monday night E&M debacle.

The more I think about the Pokrovsky-ism that adorns the first line of this particular entry, the more I realize the potential broader application of the phrase. The ability for a person to take on the task of seeing through an illogical solution really shows their mettle -- and perhaps their gluttony for punishment.

Looking back on some of the solutions I have attempted in response to life's great problems, I wonder how brave I really was. For instance, how crazy or respectable could it possibly be that I made the choice to come down here for graduate school in physics? I don't think this was an opportunity that I made the conscious effort to create -- it was one that materialized outside of my willing cognizance. Making the decision to come down here required no bravery at all. It did require a knowing resignation to the fact that I am undeserving and am a largely lucky individual.

Sometimes though, a correct solution in physics, along with the best things in life, requires a lucky discovery. Perhaps though, a certain bravery exists in waiting that discovery out.

No comments: