09 April 2006

This Week in Baseball

1.Weird dreams that I've had the past couple nights (x-zibits a through c):

a. I realize that I'm dreaming and so am really pleased with myself after punching out a car window and experiencing no pain.
b. Murphy Brown is a pregnant zombie.
c. Hulk Hogan is dead.

Those dreams seem a bit dated, don't you think?

2. Unbernzing is a one step process. Step One: Unbernzing.
Bernzing
Unbernzing

3. Eating healthy seems really expensive, especially considering that you can now purchase a McGriddle for one dollar. I don't even know why I try anymore. If Texas had any White Castles around, I'd just go binge eat myself into grease oblivion right now.

The thing is, I don't think the breakfast that I prepare for myself most mornings is all that healthy in comparison. Ok, that's a lie, the breakfast i prepare for myself most mornings is at least ten times healthier than a McGriddle sandwich.

At any rate, is it sad that I get pretty excited when I consume my daily recommended value of fiber? The way I figure it, all the fiber intake has to somehow counteract all the coffee consumption. That could be entirely way off base. At the very least, I'm sure the generic rip-off of Centrum Performance that I take every morning is boosting my health levels some. (I don't think health levels is an accurate metric of overall health. I think I just made the term up.)

4. I do like spinach a whole lot. That's a bit of a recent development.

5. Sorry Scott, but if I win this, I want Grady Sizemore to be my best man.

6. After one week of fantasy league play in ESPN's Baseball Challenge, I am in the top 95.8%. The Jobu Aggie Nation is currently ranked at 3127. I've got a long way to go to get to number one, but I've got my sights focused on it. Furthermore, I'm certain that what my team lacks in talent evaluation is more than made up for by my team's overall heart and desire. Let's not overlook that.

The first place competitor at the end of the season wins a brand new plasma tv.

7. Vivian Jaffe: Have you ever transcended space and time?
Albert Markovski: Yes. No. Uh, time, not space... No, I don't know what you're talking about.

8. I went to the super special spring Midnight Yell this past Friday (although coinciding with parents' weekend here, it was presumably meant to usher in spring football practices). I saw an aggie's dad wearing a Cleveland Indians jacket, so I gave him a thumb up sign and said, "Go Tribe!" Then he said, "Hey yah, we won today!" And then he gave me a high five.

I really like it when fans say "We won!" over "The Indians won today." I mean, I became verifiably excited when he said that and gave me the high five. God Bless America.

9. I'm starting to get worried about when my next set of midterms is going to take place. If I were a betting man though, I would place all my money on Good Friday and Easter Sunday as the most likely dates to have them. I can't imagine a better way to spend a religious holiday than in a classroom sweating and swearing over how much I don't know.

I probably shouldn't be gambling on Good Friday and Easter Sunday though, so I take all of that back.

10. I get hot-skipping mad (not so much mad as giggly) whenever I see the ad for "The Final Theory" atop my gmail inbox. And I see it there quite a bit since, well, 80% of all my incoming mail has to do with physics. The Final Theory is proof that people will believe anything and is ripe full of misrepresentations based on what most people learn in high school physics.

Since I don't want to end on that note though, take a moment to consider this interesting, readable article about a current problem in physics in regards to how we keep time. Basically, it explores the notion of the seeming paradox that as we keep time more precisely, down to a scale of 10^-17 seconds, general relativistic effects make it impossible to keep a uniform measure of time.

"At the level of accuracy of parts in 10^17 or 10^18, comparing clocks scattered around the world would be no more meaningful than comparing the rates of pendulum clocks on small ships scattered in the oceans, each bobbing in its own way and keeping its own time."

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

if we win, does that mean I have to have all the Ladies as bridesmaids instead of my friends? :)

physics & co. said...

you better believe it....that's all of Grady's Ladies.

Sarah @ All The Book Blog Names Are Taken said...

Oh Buttons, is there something you're not telling me? ;)