16 April 2006

Crossroads of the Revolution

Punctuate your statements with a period.

I guess sometimes I opt to take an altogether different route. For instance, most people would say, "When life hands you lemons, you should make lemonade." Although, from time to time, I may subscribe to such a statement, I think I often would say something more along the lines of, "I'd much rather enthalpically create my own lemons out of the vacuum of this universe than wait for them to pop into existence on their own accord." Maybe others would opt for the more violent, "When life hands you lemons, throw them at the people you hate." I would humbly suggest though that this particular route is wholly unnecessary.

I can't come up with any solid reason or smoking gun or red-handed culprit when assigning the blame for my unnecessarily bad attitude. I can however come up with some shaky arguments based on seeming red herrings, false motives, or circular reasoning. As an aside, I think it's fairly humorous that at one time, i subscribed to the notion that circular argument could be a useful rhetorical device, rather than the fallacy that it truly is -- but I suppose that discussion is for another time.

Without further explanation or loss of generality, I would like to propose that I am fairly proficient at creating bad, awkward, or messy situations -- situations that I am wholly unable to get myself out of without recourse to some form of substance abuse. On the same token, or rather in my defense, I think I'm normally patient, in that I can make do with, rather than fight against, those situations which are immutably set in granite or etched across the cosmos. Like galaxies writ large across our sky, most situations, whether bad or good, are the result of some quantum fluctuation in the background of my life. And that's how we are brought up, believing that every little thing and piece of minutiae counts for something, no matter how trivial the pursuit or meaningless the midnight fling. At the same time, there exists the paradoxical knowledge that you can dismiss rote memorization by attacking and exposing the very root of every situation -- that is to obtain some wild sense of all that just happened.

At any rate, the matter still remains: What to do with all these damn lemons? How many lemons is too many? And when is the right time to walk away from all the lemon trees you senselessly choose to plant for yourself?

Well, I was told that a good experimentalist cannot be afraid of anything. How fucking romantic is that notion? So here comes the physicist, regaled in shining armor, to save the day. But I suppose there is much truth to that. If only I had more courage, I'd be willing to try every creative and conceivable angle at deriving a solution to every predicament which rears its ugly head. Maybe then I'd learn something, and at the end of that day, I'd lay my head on my little pillow with the smug satisfaction that for once I was correct.

Instead of becoming the active participant though, I sit somewhere in the middle of the crowd which wastes its time observing -- some of that crowd, I pray, actually hopes that some odd situation can figure itself out in time for my sanity to make a remarkable recovery.

But how likely is it that a problem can just figure itself out? It must be like magic sometimes -- this life that you are free to make remarks about or may deem worthy to make note of.

At any rate, why would a seemingly sane person choose to solve his problems by spinning up new ones on a whim? Regardless of what the state quarter may claim, don't search for the crossroads of the revolution by travelling through New Jersey. It's just a harmless idea, right?

No comments: