24 August 2005

The art of being invisible

Going to workout today, I came to the realization that this place is very large. The campus keeps filling up everyday. As the 29th approaches, I'm sure everything is going to feel much more frantic and out of control as I try to get across campus to do my everday favorite things: working out and eating. Thankfully, there is only one other place on campus that I could possibly ever need to be at: the physics and engineering mega-complex dealie (the outside of which has a very interesting aluminum type sculpture of a sigma, lowercase).

I'm not exactly terrific at meeting and introducing myself to new people. But at cozy Wabash College (student body of approx. 800) everyone seems to know who you are...even pledge types from other houses that you swear you've never met before. So at Texas A&M (currently third or fourth largest university in these United States), I want to go through this semester and keep track of how few people actually know who I am. Without knowing a thing about what life will be like here, I imagine I'll know several groups of people: the other physics graduate students, anyone I come across per my duties as a teaching assistant, and the people that live in my duplex on April Bloom. I don't exactly know what the point of this little exercise is, but I could imagine that after a month or so, I'll be completely nuts from trying my hardest at becoming extremely anti-social.

I suppose there are a number of things that I could do to minimize social contact:

Stop showering.
Don't leave my room inside the duplex.
Find the quietest corner of the library on campus.
Workout early in the morning at the rec center or simply workout in the comfort of my own backyard.
Don't drink and don't go out to eat.
Rely on AIM for all social contact.

This is perhaps the most ill-fated experiment I've ever undertook, but time will tell.

No comments: